Thursday, April 06, 2006

Journal of a "Novel"-Entry 13

The Writing Begins

In this post, I will not go on at length as I have on the other recent posts. Fortunately for anyone who might be reading these entries. But I do think it is important to record for the sake of good "journaling" and posterity the following important milestone: which is that I have begun writing a first draft of the "novel" that I have undertaken to write, with the primary goal of removing the quotation marks and someday being able to say that I did write a novel, legitimately.

If my structure withstands the dual tests of time and revisionism, my novel will begin with a "short" - although the way I'm blabbering on early, it doesn't look that short yet - Prologue section, set in the present day of 2006. The time of year is early May. The setting is a small Catholic university in eastern Pennsylvania. And the first character we come across is a 75-year-old man nearing retirement, a resident of the campus, by the name of Luke Brogan, S.J.

In the Prologue, Luke Brogan will be given one final assignment before venturing off into the unknown of post-retirement life, and he will meet a youthful acquaintance one more time who will convince him to tell his story. But, as fate would have it, it's not his story that he will end up telling. Rather, Father Brogan will spend a week, in evening sessions with this young journalism student, talking at length not about himself, but of his father, Walter Brogan, of Bentonville, Indiana......

At which point, if all goes as planned, the novel will step back in time to the year 1922....

1 comment:

Mutt Ploughman said...

"Aura", uhh, i guess so. Back the Future with a Model T Ford? An old Chevy or Hudson perhaps? Who knows? Just winging it here, really......