Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Forthcoming stuff to watch for from Mutt

I was mellowing out on my way in to the office today to the sounds of a folk music mix called 'For Folk's Sake' made by my kid sister, known in the blogoshpere as 'the Runnin' Bookworm', who has done me the service, among other things, of ensuring that I will never like a single song by Joni Mitchell, no matter what. However, there was also a lot of great stuff on there, like Dylan, the great John Gorka, David Gray, etc. Hilarious title to the mix too! Folk music always has a place on this site in my mind.....as readers of the forthcoming 'Lonesome Traveler' article will soon find out........

Anyway, this post is to preview some forthcoming Mutt Ploughman posts for the literary types.......1) Shortly I will be posting a book review of Jose Saramago's recent novel 'The Double'; if you haven't read Saramago, hopefully this review will entice you to, as long as you can take dark and somewhat cynical stories......2) Soon I will introduce Mutt's 'Book of the Month' feature, highlighting the best book I have read in the last 30 days....might not be an easy choice.......and 3) Be watching this fall for my ANNUAL CHUCK DICKENS feature, a written companion to my 4th Annual Charles Dickens Novelfest. I make it a point to read one novel a year by Charles Dickens, possibly the greatest novelist in the English language. This year's selection is MARTIN CHUZZLEWIT, the only Dickens novel to be partially set in America (should be interesting to see our country get skewered by Dickens). Be looking for that sure-to-be exciting post. Let me make a general statement, sharing a lesson I learned far too late: if you like novels, and you aren't reading Charles Dickens, you gotta go back to that well and take a long drink. It took me years to appreciate his stuff, but if you can hang with the length, Dickens brings great, great rewards. No one could create characters or epic, sprawling plots like Charles Dickens. Not to mention the fact that you just feel culturally super-charged after reading one of his epic novels.

Happy reading, only a few weeks til Fall hits.......

No comments: